1991 Turbo Super Coupe 5-Speed
I recently purchased a 1991 Super Coupe that had a turbo installed. Keith Yahnke built this car and reworked its design more than a few times. The car sat for a while and Keith began to part it out as it was time for the car to go. I didn't hear he was parting out his turbo super coupe until after he had sold a few parts off of it. I couldn't let the car be torn apart as I remember parts he had ordered and especially a transmission I dropped off at his home.
When I picked up the car the following had already been sold:
Aftermarket 18" Wheels
Aftermark Fiber Glass Cowl Panel Hood
Pictures prior to me picking up the car and from Keith during the building stage
The car has an air ride system installed with Lincoln Mark VIII front shocks and rear air bags. I found that the passenger front shock is leaking and will have to find a replacement and one of the pumps has a broken connecting rod as well. The battery was found to be dead as well. I was able to get the battery replaced under warranty.
Since purchasing the car I have found a set of 60# injectors, shifter, 18" wheels, and a fiber glass hood. A stock hood will not fit over the engine and I did not want to build a custom hood. I have the car running again and took it for a test drive... It's no joke, this car has a huge amount of power.
The dyno shows 397 Horse Power and 507 Torque at the REAR WHEELS
Have the interior out now and am working on some electrical issues along with installing new gauges. I will also install the passenger lock actuator.
January 04, 2014
Well, finally had some free time today to pull the turbo out of storage. One of the air pumps is bad so I removed the pump and placed an air chuck in its place. Having the air chuck will allow me an easy way to fill up the tanks and diagnose any air leaks. I know there is an air leak from the passenger front shock and one of the solenoid assemblies. Today I took the cover off, filled up the tanks, applied some power, and prepping it for throwing onto the lift. Took some pre-work pictures and hope to have it mostly done by end of the month.
February 19, 2014
Today I found time to install the passenger door latch solenoid. Ended up using oem wiring just cut it out of the harness, since the door lock and latch have been removed. Popped in a new battery for the transmitter and now both driver and passenger doors open with a press of a button.
February 24, 2014
Rebuilt the doors with new motors, guides, and rails, the windows are working correctly now. Installed the door panels, reinstalled the EEC, reconfigured the center console. Next work will be to install the new guages and hook up the trunk release to the keyless remote.
Send mail to Sales@thunderbirdscshop.com with questions or comments about this web site